Re: vboxguest on 9.0-BETA

Hi,

2020年4月24日(金) 17:30 Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4%gmail.com@localhost>:

> On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 at 05:10, itou keiki <ap98nb26u%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> >
> > * The clipboard sharing is bidirectional.
>
> I don't think I've had the clipboard working at all, so I will check the patch.

I forgot to mention it, but I installed GCC7 from the package because it said it
couldn't be built with the standard GCC8. Then I used a configure script like the
following.

./configure --disable-hardening --only-additions --with-gcc=/usr/pkg/gcc7/bin/gcc \
--with-g++=/usr/pkg/gcc7/bin/g++

> Since VirtualBox 6.1.6 VBoxClient no longer supports VBoxSVGA; even if
> its help shows the '--display' qualifier, it noloner works:
> $ /usr/local/bin/additions/VBoxClient --help
> Usage: VBoxClient
> --clipboard|--display|--checkhostversion|--seamless|--vmsvga|--vmsvga-x11[-d|--nodaemon]
> Starts the VirtualBox DRM/X Window System guest services.

OK. I used --vmsvga-x11 only. I put the following lines into my ~/.xinitrc.

xrandr -s 1920x1080 # 1920x1200 does not work??
VBoxClient --clipboard
VBoxClient --seamless
VBoxClient --vmsvga-x11

> > Phenomenon with graphics controller VBoxVGA/VBoxSVGA
> >  X server does not start when I select vmware in the Driver of Xorg.conf
>
> Of course, it wouldn't start with the wrong driver, you need driver 'vmware'.

When I set the video controller of the VBox host to VboxSVGA or VboxVGA, the
video driver "vboxvideo" in the xorg.conf works with 256MB video memory.
When with VMSVGA controller, "vmware" driver works with 128MB. (not tested with
other amount of memory)

> > Do you have any thoughts or comments?
>
> It would appear VBoxSVGA is phased out, as most of the guest operating
> systems already have built-in 'vmware' graphics. If you select
> VBoxSVGA display type, it display a permanent warning message that the
> machine is configured with the wrong adapter, not with the recommended
> VMSVGA.

Yes, VBox Host always complains except for the VMSVGA controller, and once VMSVGA
is the standard, the client-sid configuration will be a little easier.

I have one correction.  When the VMSVGA controller is used, the module auto-load
does not work well when the VBoxService is started, and the following error
message is output.

VBoxService: error: VbglR3Init failed with rc=VERR_DEV_IO_ERROR

It is OK to start the VBoxService after loading the vboxguest module beforehand.
Also, when I quit VBoxService, unload the vboxgust module, and then start
VBoxServie again, the automatic loading of the module worked.

> The latest version of VBoxClient has --vmsvga and --vmsvga-x11 modes,
> but I found that the former does not start at all, whereas the latter
> starts but does not obtain the physical display sizes from VirtualBox;
> with or without it xrandr works properly though - you can check the
> available modes and resize the display to the value closest to
> whatever you want.

In my environment, on the VMSVGA controller and vmware driver, running
"VBoxClient -f --vmsvga-x11" will output xrandr's errors. In the VboxVGA or
VboxSVGA controller and vboxvideo driver, that command is silently quit.

> I had initially problems with the mouse driver with the VMSVGA mode -
> very likely my fault; eventually I sorted them out by selecting mouse
> type 'multitouch tablet' and specifying
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Mouse0"
>         Driver      "ws"
>         Option      "Protocol" "wmmouse"
>         Option      "Device" "/dev/wsmouse"
>         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
> EndSection
>
> in xorg.conf; mind you, dmesg shows
>
> % dmesg | grep mouse
> [     1.008399] wsmouse0 at pms0 mux 0
> [     5.096014] wsmouse1 at ums0 mux 0
> [     6.708228] wsmouse2 at ums1 mux 0
> [     6.708228] wsmouse3 at uts0 mux 0
> [    29.765032] wsmouse4 at vboxguest0 mux 0
>
> % ls -l /dev/wsmouse*
> crw-------  1 root  wheel  65, 0 Jul 29  2019 /dev/wsmouse
> crw-------  1 root  wheel  49, 0 Jul 29  2019 /dev/wsmouse0
> crw-------  1 root  wheel  49, 1 Jul 29  2019 /dev/wsmouse1
> crw-------  1 root  wheel  49, 2 Jul 29  2019 /dev/wsmouse2
> crw-------  1 root  wheel  49, 3 Jul 29  2019 /dev/wsmouse3
>
> To get it working, you have to select /dev/wsmouse in xorg.conf, it
> didn't work with the rest for me.

Thank you for pointing.  I commented out the "Protocol" "wsmouse" line
and will enable it.

> There is one more glitch - NetBSD has virtio driver, the network
> interface - vioif - also works, seems fine; however, there is also
> viroscsi driver in GENERIC:
> vioscsi* at virtio?                  # Virtio SCSI device
>
> but this one does not recognize the vioscsi interface:
>  Qumranet product 1048 (SCSI mass storage, revision 0x01) at pci0 dev
> 15 function 0 not configured

This also reproduced for me.

> Perhaps this doesn't matter a lot, though.

Thank you for your informative comment, Chavdar!

--
ITOU Keiki
(I forgot I changed my own family name  since I still use it for business..)