Re: USB tethering setup

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 at 09:56, Thomas Mueller <mueller6725%twc.com@localhost> wrote:

> I couldn't find any documentation for USB tethering; I looked in the NetBSD Guide online.
>
> USB tethering would enable a smartphone to share its internet connection with a laptop or desktop computer via USB connection.
>
> There is documentation online in the FreeBSD Guide, but that is for FreeBSD:
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-usb-tethering.html
>
> What is there for NetBSD?  FreeBSD would create a device ue0.  "man urndis" doesn't show enough.
>
> Would I just "ifconfig urndis0 ..." as if it were Ethernet?  Or "dhcpcd urndis0"?
>
> I'd like to see how or if this works, but would really need it only when the cable service goes down (which is all too often).
>
> Ethernet (re0) works in NetBSD, unlike newer versions of FreeBSD.

tl;dr - just enable dhcpcd in rc.conf without any specific interface

You can treat it as a normal non wired network interface and either
run 'dhcpcd urndis0' or just have dhcpcd running and let it pick it up
automatically.
If you have wifi and urndis0 both active dhcpcd will prefer the
"wired" one (urndis0), which is typically the behaviour you want.

I've been tethering NetBSD from android phones seemingly ~forever and
its been a life saver. Sometimes I find a public wifi that my NetBSD
laptop does not like, and I can just connect to it on my phone, then
USB tether to the laptop (which also charges :)

David