Re: CVS commit: src/usr.sbin/postinstall

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 05:07:36PM -0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:

> I think that the desire here is for postinstall is to be a very safe process
> that keeps the system up-to-date with minimal (or zero risk). The question is
> how to achieve that? We have risk added because of the manual process of
> keeping lists of things that postinstall does, and at the same time we have
> risk added by inadvertently adding and running things that were not there
> before. But this is not postinstall's fault. We should design things so
> that they need to be explicitly enabled by the user. And there is gray
> areas, like npf_boot which changes the functionality of the system.

I'm perfectly happy with postinstall pointing at things that needs to
be manually updated (like it does for e.g. users, groups or man.conf).
I add new users to master.passwd or group and I'm perfectly happy with that
(and I don't want something that does it for me because on some systems,
these files are generated automatically from a database, so it's the
database or the generating scripts that needs to be updated).

The point of my PR is that there are files obviously missing from the
system (as /etc/daily complains) and postinstall didn't even tell me.