Re: CVS commit: src/usr.sbin/postinstall

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 12:50:02 +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 01:13:52PM +0300, Valery Ushakov wrote:

> > > I *never* used etcupdate, so for me it's better to have a working postinstall
> > > (I have a PR about it: install/52349, which may have been fixed by the
> > > recent change)
> >
> > The rc.d part is probably addressed by this very change that Christos
> > made (that i was replying to).
> >
> > The other part is exactly what I'm talking about.  postinstall does
> > NOT update your system to the new etc.tgz set, it cherry picks stuff
> > from the new etc.tgz.
>
> It should create files and directory that are expected to be there
> but are not.

That "should" seems to be the crux of the matter.  It seems that
different people think that postinstall should do different things.

Most new files added to etc that were not previously there are not
needed to boot your system with its old etc (shinynewd may be hip and
progressive, but if that system ran without it, it will happily
continue to run without it for the time being).  My conception of
postinstall has always been that it takes care specifically about
those rare cases where a new file in etc *is* required to keep the
system operational and you, for whatever reasons, can't/don't want to
do a full etc update.  I may be misremembering, it's been about 15
years, please correct me if I do.

-uwe