Re: Enabling xdm in sysinst breaks console login?

On Sun, 9 Jun 2019 at 09:21, Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 08, 2019 at 10:00:16PM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> > So the next question is - what should the default be - as shipping a
> > system which has an option to enable xdm when then breaks console
> > login is... suboptimal :)
>
> The question is why you got a broken Xservers file. It should use vt5
> by default on x86. Was this on a brand new install?

This is a brand new install from current, enabling xdm in sysinst.

As far as I can tell it is using vt5 - Xservers has:
:0 local /usr/X11R7/bin/X :0 -noretro vt05
and Ctrl+Alt+F5 DTRT.

I think this is the getty on console fighting with xdm's xconsole.

This could be avoided by editing /etc/ttys to disable console and
enable ttyE0, but that breaks serial consoles. Would it just be better
to run getty on constty instead of console instead?

David