Re: (too) big font on console?

aniou%smutek.pl@localhost (Piotr Meyer) writes:

>Just for curiosity - from where is selection algorithm called in
>following case?

>I'm thinking about following case:
>drmkms0 at i915drmkms0
>drmkms0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 16 (i915)
>i915drmkms0: framebuffer at 0xffff8000453d5000, size 1920x1080, depth
>32, stride 7680
>wsdisplay0 at i915drmkms0 kbdmux 1: console (default, vt100 emulation)

intelfb_attach / i915drmkms_task_init
-> intelfb_attach_task
-> drmfb_attach
-> genfb_init_screen
-> rasops_init
-> wsfont_find

rasops_init computes a target font width (width / RASOPS_DEFAULT_WIDTH=80).
wsfont_find() then looks for the font that best matches that width.

The algorithm works fine, but with one font (or now two fonts), the
possible results are limited.

Whether a 80 character console is a reasonable goal is a different
question. For some people the resulting font is apparently way too large,
for people working with 80x25 consoles since years, it's just the right
thing.

You can still configure things in /etc/wscons.conf, just to find
that in-kernel fonts and fonts loaded by wsfontload are something
different. I guess that's the first thing that needs to be aligned,
together with the possibility to load other font types.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost