Re: failed to create llentry

On 22/11/2018 00:36, Greg Troxel wrote:
Roy Marples <roy%marples.name@localhost> writes:

On 21/11/2018 19:51, coypu%sdf.org@localhost wrote:
-B -M -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -s seem like really good flags,
thanks.
(are they good enough to be a default? right now anyone using wifi has
to have wpa_supplicant_flags set, so we can't break their usage)

Yes and no.
We would need to ship a default wpa_supplicant.conf - probably
enabling the default socket so wpa_cli(8) just works and commented out
entries for connecting to any open ap and a specific ap with psk.

We might want to enable (but commented out maybe to start with) the
ability instructions over the control socket to configure
wpa_supplicant.conf as well.
This would be handy for applications like dhcpcd-{gtk,qt}

Then, the user just has to set wpa_supplicant=YES in rc.conf and
voila, wireless network setup with X11 and a systray application
becomes a lot easier for the end user to setup.

I am unclear on the fine points, but in general find wpa_supplicant to
be way too painful to deal with.  It really seems like it should be able
to be started by default,

It is painful without a good setup, yes.
It can be started by default if the user so chooses.

So I see sysinst network config coming down to this:
Auto-start wireless Y/N
Auto-configure addresses Y/N
If auto-start wireless is Y, or autoconfigure addresses is N, spawn dhcpcd-curses to handle both.

You don't actually pick an interface by default.
I don't even propose we have an advanced section - you want anything more, drop to the shell and do it.
ifconfig and route are not hard, neither is editing resolv.conf.
Job done.

and exit if no wifi interfaces,

Why?
Hotplugging of wifi is a thing.
Pinebooks are a really good example of having no networking at boot.
I generally plug the stick and ethernet dongle/cable in after boot.

and have some
command-line wifi_choose program that prints out a list of SSIDs, takes
a number, and asks for a password, and stores both the ssid and the
password, and next time just connects.  Sort of like how a mac works
clicking on the wifi icon, but command line. And a gui version would be
fine too of course.  To me this is the biggest NetBSD wifi usability
issue, or perhaps it's just behind USB wifi adaptors being slightly
flaky.

By GUI you mean X11 based? dhcpcd-{gtk,qt} satisfy this on BSD at least.
dhcpcd-curses is a thing, but it's currently just a monitor.
Now I have a pinebook I can concentrate on fixing some recent dhcpcd/netbsd/platform bitrot with shared IP address and then work on dhcpcd-curses once more now I have a working NetBSD environment with wireless once again.

Roy