Re: failed to create llentry

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 11:56:23AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> coypu%sdf.org@localhost writes:
>
> > What are these messages about?
> > whenever my connection doesn't work, I need to tinker with manual
> > configuration and it prints a lot of that in dmesg.
> >
> > I am using wifi from a distance.
>
> ARP (IPv4) and NDP (IPv6) data is stored in the routing table with the L
> flag.  I have seen llentry (or llinfo?) errors before, when the address
> resolution code is not able to create the routing able entry it wants.
> Perhaps this is because there is another entry with the same key
> already, but a different type.
>
> If you want to send me full routing table dumps (netstat -nr) and
> ifconfig, I can look at it.  But I wonder if you are doing something odd
> (basically, anything other than configuring an address/prefix on one
> interface, and a default route, and letting routing/resolution deal with
> the rest).  In particular, I wonder if you are running anything like
> olsr.

I use wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd. When dhcpcd fails to configure the
network I start doing it manually. I don't really pay attention to when
the errors occur but I'll try to keep a closer track about when they
start.

dhcpcd will mysteriously fail while I am connected with wpa_supplicant,
so I'd kill it and do:
pkill -9 dhcpcd
route -n flush
route -n flushall
ifconfig iwm0 local-ip-i-should-have
route add default gateway

Usually when these problems happen one of the following occurs too:
- wpa_supplicant will complain it can't assign an address every hour or
  so, and network traffic will stop for a bit
- I'll accidentally restart wpa_supplicant before killling all network
  traffic and get a kernel panic

I guess wpa_supplicant does more than I want to do and run into
conflicts with manual setup.