Re: Remove fortune quotes attributed to or providing admiration of Adolf Hitler [pr bin/52735]

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 13:21:25 +0100, Rhialto wrote:
> It has come to my attention that FreeBSD has removed fortunes quoted
> from Adolf Hitler a few days ago. I was very surprised that there
> actually were such quotes!

Nihil novae...
<http://gnats.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=33495>

> I checked our fortune cookies database, and I was appalled to notice
> that we do have the same quotes there.

To my understanding, the fact that a certain quote is in the fortunes
database does not mean the NetBSD project identifies with it in any way.

> Apart from those quotes being
> wholly inappropriate in a list of funny quotes, they are probably
> illegal in Germany (where I now happen to live).

I call bullshit on this one. Using symbols of Nazi Germany, like the
Hitlergruß or swastikas, and denying its crimes is a criminal offense
here . But you can quote Adolf Hitler till the cows come home if that's
all you do, as opposed to identifying with the ideology.

> I hereby propose to remove them (but not remove all fortunes).

If we officially decide that each and every fortune cookie must comply
with NetBSD rules, and not hurt any feelings whatsoever, we should
indeed remove all of fortune(6).

Pulling the quotes unfortunately does not change the harsh historic
reality one bit.

> I have sent a pr (bin/52735, http://gnats.netbsd.org/52735) with a
> patch.

>> How-To-Repeat:
>
> $ fortune -m Hitler all

Just don't do that, then.

And note the following excerpt from fortune(6):

     -o    Choose only from potentially offensive aphorisms.  Please,
please,
           please request a potentially offensive fortune if and only
if you
           believe, deep down in your heart, that you are willing to be
           offended.  (And that if you are, you'll just quit using -o
rather
           than give us grief about it, okay?)

Cheerio,
hauke