Re: audioctl vs. mixerctl?

Hi,

>I found that I could use a command like

>$ mixerctl -w outputs.master=100,100

>and it does change the volume.  Is this expected?

This is expected as the audioctl play.gain field only effects the volume of that
particular stream - It was changed due to the introduction of in kernel audio
mixing.

However /dev/sound will keep the previous values on next open so if you issue:

audioctl -d /dev/sound -w play.gain=100

The volume for the stream will be set to 100 and this value will be used on
next open of /dev/sound.

Alternatively if you have one stream playing you can set its volume with
either:

mixerctl -w vchan.dac0=100

or

audioctl -p 1 -w play.gain=100

These settings will only effect the stream volume - To set the overall hardware
volume:  mixerctl -w outputs.master should be used.

Best regards,

Nat