audioctl vs. mixerctl?

I have a recent NetBSD 8 beta installed on a laptop and was surprised
to find that I was unable to use "audioctl" to change the volume.  This
works for me on another laptop which runs NetBSD 7.1.  That is, I do
something like

$ audioctl -w play.gain=100

and the speaker volume changes.  Under NetBSD 8 beta, the above has no
effect and "audioctl" merely repeats the old value.  Here is the dmesg
output:

hdaudio1 at pci0 dev 20 function 2: HD Audio Controller
hdaudio1: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 16
hdafg1 at hdaudio1: vendor 14f1 product 510f
hdafg1: DAC00 2ch: Speaker [Built-In]
hdafg1: ADC01 2ch: Mic In [Built-In]
hdafg1: ADC02 2ch: Mic In [Jack]
hdafg1: DAC03 2ch: HP Out [Jack]
hdafg1: 2ch/2ch 44100Hz 48000Hz 96000Hz PCM16 PCM20 PCM24
audio0 at hdafg1: full duplex, playback, capture, mmap, independent
hdafg1: Virtual format configured - Format SLINEAR, precision 16, channels 2, frequency 48000
spkr1 at audio0: PC Speaker (synthesized)

I found that I could use a command like

$ mixerctl -w outputs.master=100,100

and it does change the volume.  Is this expected?

--
Roy Bixler <rcbixler%nyx.net@localhost>
"The fundamental principle of science, the definition almost, is this: the