Re: OpenVPN causes fresh -current to crash

Ryota Ozaki <ozaki-r%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> The latest pfil.c (v1.34) should fix the panic. Could you try it?

I'll give it a go tonight, and report back.

Meanwhile, do you think this ongoing MPSAFE work may have some unwanted
consequences for NFS?  There's a problem that's been around for at least
a couple of months, but that I only discovered the other day -- I was
running with kernels from late October then, and the problem I observed
is still there after upgrading.

Reading NFS file systems is no problem, which is why I didn't notice it
before, but writing hangs.  Here's an example: I started compiling a C
source file directly to an executable on an NFS mounted file system
(server and client both amd64 running fresh -current).  The compile pass
is fine, but when the ld end of the pipeline wants to write the
executable, it hangs.  So I try to do a 'df' in another terminal, and it
hangs.  Finally, I simply attempt to make 'ls -l [target executable]'
show me if it's written anything yet, and that hangs, too: after an
attempt to write has hung the communication up, reads no longer work,
either:

 UID   PID  PPID   CPU PRI  NI     VSZ     RSS WCHAN   STAT TTY          TIME COMMAND
   0 22179 22678     0 124   0   33344    5136 netio   D+   pts/17    0:00.01 ld [...]
 501 21370 21006   516  85   0    8952    1144 nfsrcv  I+   pts/18    0:00.00 df
 501 21710     1     0 127   0    8964    1116 tstile  D    pts/20-   0:00.00 /bin/ls [...]

Once I have something with "tstile" in the "WCHAN" column, I know that
I can't just reboot the machine: it's going to take a hard reset.

Oh, and it's the client that hangs; the server seems to be just fine,
and a reboot of the client makes NFS reads behave normally again.  On
the server, the output file got created, but is zero bytes.  The error
logged on the client when it gets stuck is this console output:

nfs send error 64 for barsoom:/usr/local

...and then the normal "nfs server not responding" messages in syslog
after that, of course.

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay