Re: Running into unknown user errors while building -current for the Rasberry Pi

> On 29/12/2016, at 10:39 AM, Brian Buhrow <buhrow%nfbcal.org@localhost> wrote:
>
> 	hello.  thanks for the feedback.  The earlier post about looking at
> the mtree source code gave a clue about what to do.  The build is running
> as root and not in a chrooted environment.  So, mtree is doing lookups
> against the host's password and group files.  My uid for user postgres was
> the same as for the build environment's user games.  While I contend that
> shouldn't matter and the cross build environment should be completely
> independent of the host environment, an immediate fix is to fix the uid for
> games on the host system and see what happens.

I agree that you shouldn’t need to adjust the users on the build host and that this is a bug in the build system.

You don’t need to worry about chroot because you have specified a DESTDIR with -D.

I expect that your builds will work fine without adjusting your local postgres user if you build with the -U option for an unprivileged (non-root) build. The reason for this is that instead of running all the chown and chmod commands, they are instead logged to a file during the build. This in turn means that the build system will never use the actual ownership of any of the files in DESTDIR when building a filesystem image.

Cheers,
Lloyd