Re: File descriptor leak involving kqueue

Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh%nimenees.com@localhost> writes:

> For cross-OS support you'll need to add a configure check for that.
> In some environments it seems that the memory leak can't be fixed,
> since res_ndestroy doesn't exist.

Looks that way -- Linux doesn't even have res_nclose(), so I guess
programmers who decide to go this low-level need to adapt their code
carefully to the systems it is to run on.

Now, why the opendmarc people decided to use these calls in the first
place, I don't understand.  They create a new resolver, perform a single
query using it, and tear it back down.  If it were to do something
special, like, say, setting RES_BLAST instead of RES_ROTATE, I could
understand it.  This is just weird.  Is there something I'm not seeing?

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay