Re: The NPF firewall leaks! (was Re: in_cksum: out of data)

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih%hamartun.priv.no@localhost> wrote:

> It's fine and all, but I tend to think that the simplistic first version
> might automatically expand to the code in the second one.  In fact, the
> documentation seems to agree with me:
>
>      By default, a stateful rule implies SYN-only flag check ("flags
>      S/SAFR") for the TCP packets.  It is not advisable to change this
>      behavior; however, it can be overridden with the flags keyword.
>
> The code or the documentation needs to change.  I vote for the code.  :)

There is a difference between these two:

	pass stateful out final all
	pass stateful out final proto tcp all

The latter will generate an implicit "flags S/SAFR", while the former
will not as it covers non-TCP protocols too.  I agree that this is not
really intuitive and the documentation did not clarify this either.

--
Mindaugas