Re: USB scanners and PR 50340

On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 03:12:08PM +0100, Michael van Elst wrote:
> Changing ownerships of the filesystem entries isn't sufficient.
> After all some ugen* can be changed quickly.

I expected devpubd to deal with that for us - not sure what you mean
here.

> I'd prefer either some separate ACLs specific to USB devices or
> even some generic device property that could be maintained using
> drvctl.

I wouldn't make it usb specific (why should we?) but maybe implement
it on a driver-by-driver basis starting with ugen and umass.

> The ACL would be evaluated in addition to filesystem
> permissions and would match attributes like class/vendor/product/serial/...
> The driver and/or a sysctl setting could determine how an empty
> ACL is handled, probably defaulting to the current behaviour.

Whet is the entitled entitiy of the ACL? uid:gid tuples?
Is the console owner handled differently?

Martin