Bug in nvi: Adding Tags to the stack, removing, then re-adding causes Segmentation Fault

Hello all,

I'm attempting to debug a problem with the NetBSD version of nvi, and would like some feedback on how to progress from here. Specifically, I am able to consistently crash nvi under two circumstances:

1. Run the mkexrc command with a file name after opening. SIGABRT is generated. 2. For a given C source tree, run ctags -t path/to/*.c path/to/*.h. Open nvi. Position the cursor over a tag, press ^], then ^T twice, or ^T, then ^]. nvi will segfault (near) consistently. This behavior can also be duplicated using the corresponding cscope commands in ex (either :tagpop or :cs fi [search type] [tag] will also cause a segfault).

I am not sure if these bugs are present in the git version of nvi-1.81.6, and I am currently unable to test- the git repo versions of nvi lack a configure or autogen script, and I'm not in the position to install autotools to generate one.

My NetBSD source tree is currently on a different machine. Without completely circumventing the build.sh framework (I've had problems in the past running make directly from within the source tree after a build.sh build), what is the best way to compile a debugging version of nvi to test without completely bloating the source tree? I suppose MKDEBUG in mk.conf would be the best option, and just copy it manually to my current machine (or let sysupgrade handle it)?

As always, thanks for any help/feedback!

Sincerely,

--
William D. Jones
Rowan University | ECE | 2012