Re: a separate build of libc

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 05:11:12PM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 04:04:34PM +0200, u-6hol%aetey.se@localhost wrote:
>  > Background:
>  >
>  >   building an independent/standalone toolchain able to produce binaries
>  >   runnable on NetBSD
>  >   (note, this is not the same as compiling or cross-compiling "NetBSD")
>  >
>  > The component:
>  >
>  >   libc

> If what you are trying to do is port NetBSD's libc to a different OS,
> please say so, because that has been done before and we can give you a
> much better idea what it entails.

No, this is not the case.
(I guess you mean Minix or was there another effort?)

> If what you are trying to do is reorganize the NetBSD sources so that
> libc is a clearly defined component instead of being casually mixed
> with the kernel, please say so, because that has been done before and
> we can give you a much better idea what it entails.

This looks much nearer to what I do. I take piece by piece, not only
the libc but "everything", carefully avoiding artificial/redundant
interconnections (like unrelated libraries sharing the same directory,
if such an illustration helps).

> If you are doing neither of these things, I must say I haven't the
> slightest idea what you're trying to accomplish, and it might be
> helpful to explain.

I would be thankful for suggestions of how to extract all the necessary
and only the necessary source needed to build libc (among others not
the source for the binaries being used to build - unless they are to
contain hardcoded knowledge about the internals of the libc to be build,
I expect not :) I hope that by now I have learned enough to be able to
do this on my own but extra pointers are of course appreciated.

Rune