Re: Multiple NetBSD targets using the same OBJDIR

thor0505%comcast.net@localhost writes:

> I have a need to build NetBSD for multiple architectures using the
> same source tree. While I understand that one can use the same tools

This is normal.

> directory for all possible targets, I have not found an option to
> separate objects, releasedir, and destdir according to the target or
> some chosen ID (I also have the need to build NetBSD for the same
> architecture in two different configurations).

If you set all of those, you can separate the builds.

But what "configuration" are you changing, and does that result in
changes to the tree, or are you passing a different mk.conf, or
something else?

See pkgsrc/sysutils/etcmanage for the scripts I use, which are aimed
at having a source tree per branch and organizing tool/obj/release/dest
directories in a way I like.

If you want to pass different mk.conf files and have different paths,
that should be pretty easy.   The basic hint is to not insist on passing
one argument, and accept that you will set multiple options.

My script invokes build.sh as

./build.sh -m i386 -j8 -x -u -U -O /usr/obj/gdt-current/i386 -T
/usr/obj/gdt-current/tools -D /usr/obj/gdt-current/destdir/i386 -R
/usr/obj/gdt-current/releasedir -X /u0/n0/gdt/NetBSD-current/xsrc release

which sets 4 output options in a way that I the human find consistent.
Arguably I should change -O to make it objdir/i386; there's no good
reason to have the per-arch objdirs not in a container.