Re: Creating /dev/dk* nodes so as to be persistent

--
> Stephen

I originally installed from source, building either from FreeBSD or NetBSD.

NetBSD installations are on USB 2.0 sticks, as opposed to hard drive.

I use hard drive to keep source and pkgsrc trees and do the compiling work.

I remember going into $DESTDIR/dev and running ./MAKEDEV all

Should I edit /dev/MAKEDEV and add a line to make nodes dk16, ...?

I use NAME= in /etc/fstab so as to be able to find proper partitions on a
system where an internal USB 2.0 media reader plays havoc with sd* numbering.

On this system, with MSI Z77 MPOWER motherboard, NetBSD 6.1_STABLE consistently
hangs on boot, even if I try boot (kernel) -a so as to be able to set the
correct root and dump/swap.

What if root partition has NAME= in /etc/fstab but dk wedge number is above the
highest preassigned /dev/dk* node?

Running "mount" by itself shows

tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (union, local)

Tom