Re: odd filesystem temporary corruption: dir appears empty (w/o . ..)

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 08:00:48AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
 > I did an update, on a tree which previously had updated ok, and got a
 > complaint about not being able to remove a directory (gdb6 in this
 > case).  I found a CVS directory which seemed to have nothing in it, as
 > in "ls -la" showed no files, not even '.' and '..'.  So to make progress
 > I moved it to /u0/lost+found, and then I was able to remove the
 > directories for the now-gone gdb bits.

ls is not a good tool if you suspect a problem; it will print nothing
if it gets an error partway through a directory. (This is a problem
with fts(3), not ls per se.) I'm not sure what's better, though.

If you haven't fsck'd this volume, I would do so sooner rather than
later; the obvious explanation for the problem appearing to fix itself
is that the directory's crosslinked.

There have been indications in the past that WAPBL's crash recovery is
not without its share of bugs, even ignoring the stale file data issue.
So it's not inconceivable that the directory could have gotten
crosslinked. Or otherwise corrupted.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost