/etc/ttys defaults, was Persistent green messages interrupting console on NetBSD 6.99.19 i386

On Tue, 07 May 2013, Ian D. Leroux wrote:
> >> I might add, only one VT works; I can't go to another, even though I have
> >> wscons=YES in /etc/rc.conf .
>
> > You need to enable ttyE1 (or any others you want to use) by changing the
> > status from "off" to "on" in /etc/ttys.

> Perhaps the defaults should be changed, to enable wscons and a few
> virtual consoles, at least for ports where people are likely to
> want them.

> --apb (Alan Barrett)

I noticed later, when upgrading NetBSD 6.1 and HEAD from source, that etcupdate
wants to disable ttyE1, ttyE2 and ttyE3 in /etc/ttys.  I was watchful and
deleted the requested update of that file.

Sneaky default of only one virtual terminal makes NetBSD look like a shoddy OS
compared to FreeBSD and Linux.  I regard this as a design flaw, especially when
the documentation gives no warning of this behavior.

Tom