Re: dhc* in NetBSD 7.0

On Mar 26,  1:29pm, tls%panix.com@localhost (Thor Lancelot Simon) wrote:
-- Subject: Re: dhc* in NetBSD 7.0

| On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 03:22:33PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
| >
| >   fix it. I think that it is appropriate to include dhclient in the
| >   next formal release, and announce that this is the last release where
| >   we will ship it, to give a chance to people to upgrade.
|
| But this was the exact same response I got to my suggestion that we
| drop dhclient for the 6.0 release.  How do we know we won't go around
| on this again when it's time for NetBSD 8.0?

We forgot to announce it's demise in the 6.0 release notes. Let's not repeat
this. In fact, let's start the release notes for 7.0 now, so that we can
add more things we want to deprecate.

| We have plenty of time before NetBSD 7.0 ships to ensure dhcpcd works
| for all reasonable use cases.  Its maintainer is a NetBSD developer and
| has made his intention to ensure this is so very clear.  NetBSD 7.0 is
| the right time for dhclient to die.

Except for the cases we did not get a chance to test. Right now dhclient
is a minor 4+MB annoyance in /sbin, not worth fussing too much about it.

christos