Re: dhc* in NetBSD 7.0

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 10:47:35AM +0000, Stephen Borrill wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013, John Nemeth wrote:
> >} So now we can ship 7 with dhcp-4.2.3 and get rid of the old one.
> >} The question is, should we build dhclient? Or we say you just need
> >} to use dhcpcd?
> >
> >    I would much prefer to see dhclient shipped, since it comes almost
> >free.  I'm not the only one that has complained about having to change
> >configuration stuff (some of which can be fairly complex) for what
> >appears to be gratutious reasons.  As it stands, all the code needed to
> >build dhclient will be in-tree, and appears to require very little in
> >the way of developer resources.  Also, this would hardly be the only
> >place where we have duplicate functionality, so I personally don't
> >consider that to be a very good argument.
>
> I agree we should keep dhclient or at the very least provide an easy
> switch to enable it building. It seems to me that, given the
> integration with the various libraries and bind, people who choose
> to use dhclient may otherwise need to jump through a number of hoops
> for it to be fully integrated.

Why?  I see no reason to believe this would be the case, since the ISC
code as distributed does not build any of its libraries as shared.

Shipping two single-purpose programs that do the exact same thing is the
very worst kind of bloat.  Not in NetBSD, please.  It's bad enough that
dhclient has endured so far.

Thor