Re: dhc* in NetBSD 7.0

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 04:40:01PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> So I went and fixed libisc to export all the functionality needed
> by bind, then removed the #ifdef BIND9 code from it, and added
> initializations to the userland program to use the ISC library with
> the traditional api it provides instead of the intrusive hacks. I
> also eased some of the assertions of libdns, and added the
> initialization that was needed for programs other than BIND. In
> this case enabling BIND9 now to libdns, enables all the code.
> (of course I only fixed the Unix code, I did not touch the Windows
> part which now will not compile, until the same mechanical changes
> are applied).
>
> The upshot of this is that now I have a working dhcp family of
> programs and a working family of bind programs using the same shared
> libdns and libisc.

Neat!

> So now we can ship 7 with dhcp-4.2.3 and get rid of the old one.
> The question is, should we build dhclient? Or we say you just need
> to use dhcpcd?

I don't see that there's any reason to provide multiple instances of
the same functionality, except for religious reasons (sh/csh/ksh).  So
I vote for just shipping dhcpcd, and dropping dhclient.  The dhcpd
server is still definitely needed.

> The issue here is that if we install dhclient in /sbin, we need to put
> libpthread, libisc, and libdns in /lib too (which I have done right
> now). If we don't want to install it, then we don't have to do this.
> There is also the option of installing it in /usr/sbin, but that is
> less useful.

... which would also avoid this kind of withccraft.

Thanks for doing all of this,
Al