Re: dhc* in NetBSD 7.0

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 13:57:50 +0900 Joerg Sonnenberger
<joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 05:10:25AM +0400, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
> > Roy Marples <roy%marples.name@localhost> writes:
> > > On 20/03/2013 19:24, Hauke Fath wrote:
> > > Can you state what your problems with dhcpcd are? I like to
> > > provide a smooth and polished product :)
> >
> > ls /usr/share/examples
> >
> > There're no recipes for people tight on time for setting it up to:
> >  - reject setting zeroconf address;
> >  - prepend/append DNS servers to the list (e.g.
> > prepending/appending local resolver);
> >  - force local hostname;
> >  - send local hostname;
> >  - request particular attributes;
> >  - reject particular attributes.
> >
> > Just like in many other cases, it would be more useful
> > if the most frequent use cases would be covered with examples.
>
> Let's see. There is one config file, which contains a line for sending
> the local hostname already. The corresponding man page trivially
> covers
> (1) and (3) [by disabling the option] and of course, (5) and (6).
> So the only thing that is arguably non-trivial is (2).
>
> Given that dhcpcd uses resolvconf, resolvconf.conf(5) applies for (2).
> Might be nice to add an explicit .Xr for that, but that's a separate
> question.

I started writing a long rant on the lack of documentation for
setting up dhcpd on a DHCP client, when I found one of Hubert Feyrer's
old blog posts about the introduction of a new dhcp*c*d daemon to
NetBSD.  So, for the benefit of those who, like me, are insufficiently
attentive when they read: there's a crucial difference between dhcpd
and dhcpcd, between dhcpd.conf and dhcpcd.conf.

I will now go learn how to configure dhcpcd to prepare for the coming
change.

--
IDL