Re: dhc* in NetBSD 7.0

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 01:07:36PM -0700, Jeff Rizzo wrote:
> On 3/20/13 12:59 PM, Rhialto wrote:
> >On Wed 20 Mar 2013 at 20:24:37 +0100, Hauke Fath wrote:
> >>As to dhcpd(8), like you I don't see a reason why it has to be in base,
> >>as opposed to pkgsrc. (What's next? postfix? ;)
> >It is part of a basic server configuration. One of the more common
> >parts, probably. If you only want to do the single-user thing, there is
> >this glorified program loader from Redmond that might be a better
> >option.
> >
> >-Olaf.
>
> I would suggest that it *isn't* part of a basic server config,
> though, because you only want one[1] per network, and unlike a lot
> of other services, rogue dhcp servers often cause real problems for
> people other than the admin setting things up.  So, it might not be
> a bad thing to require another hoop to jump through.  Even people
> setting up large, multi-user systems quite often don't need or want
> a DHCP server!

It's useful to have a DHCP server that cross-builds without any fuss to
install on embedded NetBSD targets.  It's also useful to have a DHCP
server for bootstrapping embedded development targets (e.g., PXE boot).
So I think that the DHCP server should stay.

I'm not a big fan either of dhcpcd, which usually I can and DO use,
although I find it awkward, or for dhclient, which is way too big for
its capabilities. dhcpcd seems to do more in way less compiled code than
dhclient does.

The question reminds me of a general concern about NetBSD, that it is
contracting around an ill-defined "core" set of functionality due to
a housecleaning compulsion or nostalgia.  Meanwhile there are poor
guidelines for ever adding anything.  ISTM that you cannot make a system
both useful, consistent & integrated, AND vanishingly small.

Dave

--
David Young
dyoung%pobox.com@localhost    Urbana, IL    (217) 721-9981