Re: postfix and sasl questions

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 14:36:16 +0000
Matthias Scheler <tron%zhadum.org.uk@localhost> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 09:31:53AM -0500, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> > As long as all you do is add to a mailbox.
>
> That is what I mostly do to the really big folder.

Sounds like you are running a single client server.  I own an ISP and
even though it is relatively small I still have enough users to get
every kind of usage.

> > I use maildir for that reason as well as for backups.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong but maildir uses a file per e-mail, doesn't
> it? I've got one folder with over 175K e-mails in it. I don't want to
> know what a directory with 175K files would do to my backups.

I won't ask how a folder with that many messages can be useful for
anything but what does it do to your backup now?  I guess you need to
back up the entire folder now.  If you were my client I would only be
backing up the messages that you added since yesterday morning.  That
works out, in my case, to only transferring and storing a little more
than 1% of my mail folders.  It also means that I can store 60 days
worth of backups instead of 3 or 4.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/ IM:darcy%Vex.Net@localhost