Re: Does re(4) support Realtek 8111E ?

Hi,

On Dec 4, 2012, at 11:25 , Thomas Mueller wrote:

>> Looking at the 6.0 release notes it seems that there is no 8111E support in
>> 6.0.
>> I'm in the traditional new box situation, except in my case it's a small
>> Shuttle
>> SX79R5 so the amount of expansion slots (for network in case of no 8111E
>> support)
>> is rather limited.
>
>> I need a box I can bring as carry-on on airplanes, with a 2011 socket, and
>> this
>> seems to be the only option available. Hence, I really interested in 8111E
>> support.
>> But it looks like the FreeBSD folks haven't completely sorted out the 8111E
>> either
>> so I'm a bit concerned that this may turn into a major problem.
>
>> If anyone has any insight in the difficulties/possibilites of Realtek 8111E
>> support
>> I'd be very interested to know.
>
>> Regards,
>
>> Johan
>
> It seems my Realtek 8111E, on motherboard, works with NetBSD 6.0.  Checking
> /var/run/dmesg.boot , it seemed OK, and nslookup and ftp worked; also cvs.
>
> With NetBSD 5.1_STABLE, I saw a line in /var/run/dmesg.boot
>
> re0: Unknown revision (0x2c800000)
>
> but that also seemed to work OK.  Maybe not all features were supported,
> though I can't confirm that.

"Seems to work ok" is a good starting point. My networking needs are very small
for this box (about 90% is inbound ssh terminal sessions, nothing else). I've
also found a USB-Ethernet dongle that works (those things are becoming harder
to find), so if between a rock and a hard place I can use that.

> You might have got some more responses between the time I got your message
> and got to this response, about 27 hours.

Nope, your response is the first one.

Many thanks.

Johan