Re: sysinst & X11 sets

    Date:        Tue, 7 Aug 2012 12:42:16 +0200
    From:        Julian Fagir <jdf%NetBSD.org@localhost>

  | if you think this is for real a problem, please report a PR for that.

I would have if I was that sure, that's why the enquiry here first,

I was trying to find out whether anyone else had seen similar, or
whether I had perhaps done something stupid...

Or perhaps this was deliberate in some way, and wasn't a bug at all.

  | I didn't look deeper into it, but apparently,
  | the message "None" is only used for set groups,

That fits with what I saw, there was just one X11 entry in the
menu, not one for each of the X11 sets (same for source).

  | So you didn't get into the menu.

No, I did not get into the sub-menu, if that is what should have
happened.

  | sysinst does not check file existence, as you choose the installation method
  | after set selection and with ftp installation, you wouldn't have sets
  | available, source sets aren't even bundled on the CD.

That makes sense (and source sets were on my "CD" (which was a DVD to be
big enough...) but not anywhere I would expect sysinst to be able to
find them).   But I hadn't considered that selecting where the sets were
to be found had not happened yet when I got to the "which sets" menu.

But as we are here, wouldn't it make sense to do those things in the
other order, so sysinst can check that the sets that I select to
install are available as I'm selecting them, and not allow me to select
sets that are not available at the distribution point I'm going to
use?   Is there some advantage to selecting the sets first that I
can't see?

  | I'm not aware of any other button you can press to change the value. Did you
  | use the Enter button or something else? Which platform are you using?

I think I tried just about everything, but I will try it again (I still
have the DVD, of course, so testing it is easy - especially as to get to
this point, it does not touch the system, so all it takes is one reboot).

Sorry, I should have mentioned the platform in the mail just in case
it made a difference, it was amd64 - so I can also easily test i386.

Now I am reassured by your message that this was not "working as
expected" nor "already known", I'll do a few more tests later tonight
with both i386 & amd64 boot DVDs (for that same version of current, I
haven't rebuilt using today's), and 6.0_BETA2 CDs (of the same vintage),
using "custom" install for all of them, and see what happens to this
point - I won't go on to complete the install, no point in that here).

Thanks for the reply.

kre