fsck leaving / hosed (evbppc)??

(This is about evbppc, but I suspect it's more general.)

I have some systems with a P2020 running netbsd-6 (not quite up to date,
plus a lot of local changes).  They are mostly ok (hat tip to Matt for lots
of stability fixes).

root is on a USB2 disk.  There's an ext2 partition with the kernel
(U-Boot lacks ffs support) and

When the system boots after a clean shutdown, everything is normal.

When booting after an unclean shutdown (our local changes have some
issues), fsck runs and fixes a few things, and then we find that /
appears to have vanished.  "ls" gets "not found", and "echo /*" takes a
long time and prints nothing.  It seems that the in-core version of /
has lots of null entries.

"fsck -f -p" after a clean boot results in no issues.

So, it seems that fsck does something to tell the kernel to reload the
filesystem, and that's going horribly wrong.

Has anyone else seen this?