emacs -nw hangs

Hi!

On 6.99.6/amd64, emacs-23.4.1, when started in a text window, stops
accepting all key presses in that terminal window. It can't even be
backgrounded with CTRL-Z. When it has its own X window, it works fine.

Anyone else seeing this? Just type "emacs -nw" and try pressing any
key. I can reproduce it locally and when logging in via ssh. The
keyboard still works e.g. ALT-TAB or window manager special keys, just
inside the emacs window there's no reaction to any key.

I don't know when I last tried this on this machine, but probably at
most a few weeks ago, so it must have broken recently. Any ideas what
could have caused this?
 Thomas