Re: diskless systems forget how to go multiuser?

cvs update, rebuild, updated other i386 systems and noticed possibly-
related symptoms:

Complaint about /var (scrolled off screen and not saved in logs, so
I forget exactly what the complaint was)  Whatever the complaint, it
was false.  (I rebooted to see if I could catch the complaint, but it
didn't happen again...)

'ttyflags' reports "Permission denied" opening /dev/tty0[0-3]
(uucp:wheel, mode 600)

'pkg_delete' deleted database entry but got "Permission denied" when trying
to delete the package's files and "/var/db/pkg/<pkgname>" directory.
Manual deletion with 'rm' worked.

On these systems, I share /usr, /var/db/pkg and /var/db/pkg.refcount
between all systems of the same architecture and OS version.