Re: Sysinst default root login shell

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 05:01:51PM +0000, Eduardo Horvath wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2012, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:
> > IMO, having capable and useful defaults is a big part of a usable system.
> > Sure, I *can* change the shell, just like if /usr/pkg/bin wasn't in the
> > default .profile (or .cshrc) I *could* add it, or if we weren't using
> > "less" as the "more" command I *could* install it myself, or if we didn't
> > have a pkg_add command I *could* go build things myself, but that's time
> > that could be better spent doing other things.
>
> Your preferences may not match those of other people.  You seem to like
> System V unix rather than BSD.  Many people prefer the BSD flavor to
> system V.  If you prefer System V, maybe you should find a unix
> distribution that is closer to System V.

huh?  If "System V" means "a system that comes pre-configured with reasonable
defaults", then I guess I'm guilty as charged.

> "BSD" stands for "Berkeley Software Distribution" and is what was
> distributed by CSRG.  Yes, it's defined by a number of features, and the
> shell is one of the most user visible features.

hmmm... I think if you look closely enough you'll find Net*BSD* is quite
different from what was distributed by CSRG.  I guess that means it should
have been renamed long ago.

> Yes, for interactive use I prefer csh variants to bourne shell variants.
> Trying to convince me to switch is a waste of time.  If you plan to start

I have no intention of convincing you to switch what you use.

> Or if you want to talk about redundancy, why do we have vi, ed, ex, sed,
> and awk?  We only really need one editor, don't we?

You won't hear many complaints from me if you want to dump ed and ex.

> unix has a lot of historical baggage.  If you want to change that you
> should switch to another OS.  Trying to force your preferences on others
> is just going to piss them off, and this discussion is beginning to get to
> that point with me.

No, I will not be switching to another OS, but I'm certainly not going to
agree with you if you claim that all the historical baggage is things that
are non-negotiable.  Like Mindaugas said, this is not a conservation project.
At no point did I say "you can't use csh anymore".  We're talking about a
default for root logins, and as has been pointed out, you can still pick
which shell you want when you install.

eric