Re: NetBSD RAIDFrame issue (kind of off-topic).

On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 12:34:42 -0600
Dave Burgess <burgess%cynjut.com@localhost> wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I'm having a weird RAID-5 problem and I'd like to chat with someone
> about it.  This isn't really a NetBSD issue, even though the RAID
> array is the NetBSD RaidFrame.  You all have more important stuff to
> deal with.  If someone could pop back to be, I'd appreciate it.
>
> Here's the issue:
>
> I recently had a drive in a 4 drive raid-5 array fail.  I pulled the
> drive (bearing problems - wouldn't even turn) and replaced it with an
> identical drive (in geometry).
>
> I issued a raidctl -R /dev/wd3a raid0 on the array to rebuild the new
> drive.  It runs for about an hour and dies at the last second with an
> error (which I don't have right handy - the drive is at a customer's
> site).
>
> When I try to mount the array, one half of the array (/dev/raid0e)
> works fine, but the second half (/dev/raid0f) won't mount with an
> error "No space left on device".  It is possible that the drive is
> over full, but it seems to me that it's about 70%.
>
> The /var partition is actually full, so there might be an issue with
> a log message getting jammed, but would that kill the raidctl -R at
> the last second?
>
> Any suggestions?

Really need to see the error (and whatever's relevant from dmesg)....
My guess is that you're hitting a read error on one of the other
drives -- that should be about the only thing that would cause the
'raidctl -R' to fail... (or a write error to the new drive...)

Later...

Greg Oster