Re: Hang/reboot with -current and umidi on i386

Iain Hibbert <plunky%rya-online.net@localhost> writes:

> On Tue, 31 Jan 2012, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:
>
>> It's not just umidi.  The silly midi over PC beeper thing has related
>> trouble, for one.  I'm not going to worry about that - a quick "no midi*
>> at pcppi?" in my kernel config felt like a more proper solution...  :)
>
> Can you expand on that a bit?  I don't have any midi hardware, and the
> midi at pcppi does seem to work for me (i386) though sounds rather tinny
> (perhaps it is expected to be that?)

While I was debugging this stuff, one of the last problems I was seeing
was this kernel output:

vrelel: missing VOP_CLOSE(): vnode @ 0xce72000c, flags (0x10<MPSAFE>)
        tag VT_NON(0), type VCHR(4), usecount 1, writecount 0, holdcount 0
        freelisthd 0x0, mount 0x0, data 0x0 lock 0xce7200b0

This would happen when closing a MIDI interface after reading from it,
and the interface would then quit working: it would disappear from the
list given by "midiplay -l".  When I was sure I'd solved that, and the
message still appeared after reading from /dev/music, that had me
stumped (I couldn't understand why going through /dev/music should cause
it, when directly reading from the raw interfaces didn't) until I
noticed that it was the pcppi MIDI interface that was causing it, and
disappearing from the "midiplay -l" output.

I haven't looked at it any closer, though.

-tih
--
"The market" is a bunch of 28-year-olds who don't know anything. --Paul Krugman