Re: "core's rules" (was Re: heads up again: quotas)

On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 12:14:58PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 10:18:13AM -0600, David Young wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 06:10:24AM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> > > I've also left quotactl(8) still capable of handling the proplib XML
> > > RPC bundles. It does so with its own copy of the proplib interpreter,
> > > so it should continue to work indefinitely. It will be removed in a
> > > few days because it violates core's rules about XML as a user
> > > interface; however, if anyone wants it after that it can be retrieved
> > > from the Attic or even packaged in pkgsrc.
> >
> > What are "core's rules about XML as a user interface"?  Please cite an
> > authorized message from core or core minutes.
>
> My understanding was that, after a very painful discussion, core stated
> to the developers that XML was not to be used in configuration files
> that users or system administrators might be reasonably expected to
> hand-edit.  As you know, since you inquired I have checked this with
> several other developers whose recollection seems to match mine.

I know that everyone seems to remember something that seems to them to
be the same as what others seem to remember, but you can say the same
thing about a flying-saucer sighting. :-)

Core team, please remind us all:

1 Which specific quota kernel+userland changes were approved
  by core,

2 what the XML rule is,

3 how you think that the XML rule does or does not apply in this
  particular case

Dave

--
David Young