Re: current kernel + userland just resets

I've been experiencing a similar problem after I updated to a kernel
built this past weekend (24 Sept 2011 or so).  The machine is just
hung with a black screen and the hard-disk activity light on solid.
This is a desktop/mid-tower system and has been quite well-behaved
until this update.

After power-cycling to get it back again, a look through
/var/log/messages suggests the IO load of the nightly maintenance
scripts contributed.  There was a backtrace recorded that resulted
from a panic claiming "bad directory: /".  It's since hung again.

I'll reset it, switch to the previous kernel and see how it behaves.
and see about posting the relevant log entries.