Kingston Data Traveler (was Re: USB3?)

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011, Thomas Mueller wrote:

> NetBSD can read and write most USB sticks including most Kingston Data
> Travelers, but there is one lot of Kingston Data Traveler that gives
> generic HBA error in NetBSD, 32-bit or 64-bit, version 4.0.1,
> 5.1_STABLE, and HEAD: a model, Data Traveler 112, now discontinued, made
> specifically for sale through Office Depot.
>
> I bought four of these, 2 GB, on sale, and they work with FreeBSD,
> Linux, even FreeDOS (to a limited extent) and OpenIndiana.  Strange!
>
> I guess it would be rather difficult for NetBSD people to fix this bug,
> since the model in question is discontinued.

I have a pair of Kingston Data Traveler 4Gb sticks which appear identical,
except that one of them does not work with NetBSD and the other works
fine. I guess this is the "known problem" which was alluded to in this
thread (I don't see a PR about it), how can I diagnose this?

The one that does not work:

 umass0 at uhub4 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0
 umass0: Kingston DataTraveler G2, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2
 umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
 scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets, 1 lun per target
 sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <Kingston, DataTraveler G2, 1.00> disk
removable
 sd0: fabricating a geometry
 sd0: 3817 MB, 3817 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 7818184 sectors
 sd0(umass0:0:0:0): generic HBA error
 sd0: unable to open device, error = 5

and the one that does:

 umass0 at uhub4 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0
 umass0: Kingston DataTraveler G2, rev 2.00/2.00, addr 2
 umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
 scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets, 1 lun per target
 sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <Kingston, DataTraveler G2, 1.00> disk
removable
 sd0: 3817 MB, 3936 cyl, 16 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 7818240 sectors

iain