Re: x86 GENERIC kernels unlobotomized

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 12:24:40AM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
>      netbsd-5 is NOT running on modules.  A netbsd-5 kernel is capable
> of loading modules, but it doesn't have many of the improvements made
> in -current.  By default the mod* tools on netbsd-5 work with LKMs, not
> new style kmods.  To get them to work with kmods, you have to recompile
> them with -DMKMODULAR.  Out of the box, I believe the only thing
> netbsd-5 uses kmods for is the miniroot.kmod used by the installation
> CD.

Interesting, especially as there's an options MODULAR in netbsd-5's
GENERIC and there's a kmod for about every filesystem netbsd supports
lying around in my /stand/i386/5.0 ... Why install something that won't
be used? But ok, I guess the modular vs. monolithic debate cared for some
hasted commits and less holistic design than usual for NetBSD. I just hope
the steam cools off somewhen (maybe 2012?) and the devel community of
NetBSD will return to its 'good design first' goal, rounding off whatever
is delivered to the end-user...

Regards,

-Martin