Re: x86 GENERIC kernels unlobotomized

On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 10:23:09PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 09:32:20PM +0200, dieter roelants wrote:
> > The modules are not in the base set, but in "modules" (since september
> > 2009). There also is not a "the kernel set", depending on the port
> > there can be multiple kern-XYZ sets.
>
> yes, and each kern-*.tgz should include the modules for this kernel.

Manuel: Exactly.

@dieter: not on netbsd-5, the supported release branch that's running
on modules. Go figure...

splitting things into multiple sets (kern-*.tgz; modules.tgz) again is
asking for trouble. Everytime you remember installing the second (or
"other") set, you would've installed the modules anyways. People use
to forget the 2nd step though...

Now that and a fix for releasekernel, which not only creates the
CONFIG.gz binary but also a kern-CONFIG.tgz, stuff in modules, I'd
be happy (and, probably ignorant for I switch to MONOLITHICs in anger
and pain after having locked myself out from the system once too many).

Having modules in a separate set from the kernel feels to me like
putting /bin/sh into base and /lib/libc into comp...

Regards,

-Martin