Re: raidframe performance question

 On 6/20/2011 11:46 PM, Alan Barrett wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jun 2011, Dave Burgess wrote:
I'm trying something a little complicated.

I've built a 2Gig raid0 array to boot from. I'm using all four disks as raid elements (two live, two as spares). [...]
After that, I set the rest of the disks up in a raid5 config.

You could also consider having a separate 2GB boot partition on each disk, without glueing them together into a RAID0. In normal use, you'd keep them all identical, using rsync or dump|load or something, but you would also have the ability to test upgrades by installing on only one of the multiple boot partitions. (I do this with a two-disk system, with a small boot partition on each disk, and a large RAID0 over "the rest" of both disks.)

--apb (Alan Barrett)
I spent most of the last two days trying to get the "raid1 + raid5" configuration to work and I just couldn't get it to light.

I've ended up with a boot partition on each drive that holds the boot code, the /stand directory, and a kernel.

This boots onto the original RAID5 without a problem.

The only question rattling around in my now completely addled brain is "which kernel is running?"

My expectation is that the one from the boot partition, but my hope is the one off the RAID.

Either way, it's all good for now. I need to get this server back on-line so I can get back to my next insurmountable problem:

The Kevorkian Server.