Re: raidframe performance question

On Fri, 6 May 2011, Paul Goyette wrote:

One of the drives had a "factory installed" copy of Centos on it, while the other had simply been formatted (fdisk & disklabel), so the contents were not identical.

I would be happy with 2.5 hours to initialize parity - at the rate it's going now, I'm looking at ~50 hours!

You would probably be better off to reboot the system to kill the running initialize, unconfigure the raid, and zero out the partitions by doing a dd directly to each partition. Then reconfigure the raid, and the raidctl -i step can probably be skipped, but even if you do run it, all it should do is read both disks and not do any writing. It would be interesting to know what kind of speed a direct write to the partition gets - if there is some kind of problem with the drive itself rather than raidframe, it could still take a long time to zero out the disk.

That would not address the possibility that normal operations of writing to the raid device under normal use might still be slow.

--
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%montana.edu@localhost
Computer Consultant