Re: raidframe performance question

On Fri, 6 May 2011, Greg Oster wrote:

On Thu, 5 May 2011 21:08:43 -0700 (PDT)
Paul Goyette <paul%whooppee.com@localhost> wrote:

This is my first time playing with raidframe, so I've probably gone
and done something totally stupid.  However...

not that I can see...

Does anyone have a clue why the drive might be so busy?  Is this
normal? At this rate it will take another day to initialize a 465GB
mirror! With a SATA-II transfer speed of 3Gbytes/sec (300MBytes/sec)
it really should be a little bit faster.   :)

I would expect that RAID set to initialize in about 1.5 hours...  2
hours would be taking too long...

Were the disks zeroed or otherwise identical before doing the
initialization, or did you have (different) data on each of them?
That's the only reason I can think of why the build might take a bit
longer -- but even then, if they had old data, then I'd expect it to
take maybe 2.5 hours at the most...

One of the drives had a "factory installed" copy of Centos on it, while the other had simply been formatted (fdisk & disklabel), so the contents were not identical.

I would be happy with 2.5 hours to initialize parity - at the rate it's going now, I'm looking at ~50 hours!

| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |