Re: i386 bootloader regression?

On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 10:02:48AM -0600, David Young wrote:
> I've updated the NetBSD installation on one of my Soekris 45xx units.
> Now it is in an infinite reboot cycle:
>
> NetBSD/x86 ffsv1 Primary Bootstrap
> r:-(
>
> *reboots here*
>
> Has something changed in the i386 bootloaders that would cause that?
> Where is the key for interpreting "r:-("?  ISTR each of those characters
> marks the bootloader's progress somehow.

Turns out that the 'r:-(' come from comBIOS.  I think that 'r' means
that the BIOS failed to (r)ead a sector.  I disabled GPT support on
Jonathan Kollasch's suggestion: the 'r' went away, but the system still
rebooted.

I switched from the new /boot file to the one that I used to use on this
box, and the system boots.  Perhaps the new /boot file, at 70780 bytes,
is too big?  It's the only /boot file I see that is greater than 64kB.

Dave

dyoung%ojctech.com@localhost      Urbana, IL * (217) 344-0444 x24