Re: amd64 build broken due to compat gcc_pic

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011, Julio Merino wrote:

> On 01/27/11 14:05, Julio Merino wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have been unable to build amd64 for a few days already and the problem
> > has not gone away even after cleaning obj/tools/destdir.
> >
> > Log below.  Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> > src/compat/amd64/i386&  nbmake-amd64 dependall
> > ... several directories ...
> > dependall ===>  ../../../lib/libarch
> >        build  libarch/libi386.so.1.0
> > /s/jmmv/os/netbsd/tools.amd64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64--netbsd/4.1.3/../../../../x86_64--netbsd/bin/ld:
> > skipping incompatible
> > /home/jmmv/os/netbsd/destdir.amd64/usr/lib/i386/libgcc_pic.a when searching
> > for -lgcc_pic
> [...]
>
> I still can't build amd64 on any of two machines I have... and this doesn't
> seem to be a problem of my setup.  By looking at the releng builds, I can't
> find any recent successful amd64 release.
>
> And, for example, this error log shows the same issue:
>
> http://releng.netbsd.org/builds/HEAD/201101292100Z/amd64.build.failed
>
> Any ideas?

revert src/compat/compatsubdir.mk to version 1.5 as I understand the
change to use MAKEOBJDIR interferes with build.sh usage of MAKEOBJDIR.

Ultimately, I think that the Makefile framework should not really be
setting MAKEOBJDIR or MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX internally, both are documented as
outside (user provided) settings and using either might cause conflicts.
The previous use of MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX kind of worked by accident though it
was a bit of a hack (If a complex MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX was passed, it might
have broken)

I was looking in the compat subdir a few weeks ago and I think the final
resolution should probably be to merge the MLIBDIR creativity into
bsd.lib.mk and just build a whole set of libraries as appropriate,
directly from the lib/libXXX subdir.. (eg, for amd64 you would get
i386.libXXX.so along with libXXX.so unless MKCOMPAT=no)

iain