Re: Booting -current under anita/qemu

On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 07:31:41PM -0800, Paul Goyette wrote:
> For about the past 24 hours or so (possibly longer, but the build
> itself was broken for a while;  see timestamp info at end of this
> mail), I have been unable to get anita/qemu to successfully install
> an amd64 build. Well, that's not quite true.  The installation does
> succeed (the installation kernel is booted from pseudo-floppy), but
> attempting to boot the installed system (using boot blocks installed
> on the virtual disk drive) fails.
>
> Here's what the console output says:
>
>       Starting network.
>       /etc/rc: WARNING: $hostname not set.
>       IPv6 mode: host
>       Configuring network interfaces:.
>       Adding interface aliases:.
>       UVM: pid 127 (services_mkdb), uid 0 killed: out of swap
>       uvm_fault(0xffffffff80cfe920, 0x0, 1) -> e
>       fatal page fault in supervisor mode
>       trap type 6 code 0 rip ffffffff8074792a cs 8 rflags 246 cr2  8 cpl 0
> rsp ffff800003f59b40
>       panic: trap
>       cpu0: Begin traceback...
>       uvm_fault(0xffffffff80cfe920, 0x0, 1) -> e
>       fatal page fault in supervisor mode
>       trap type 6 code 0 rip ffffffff8024551f cs 8 rflags 246 cr2  0 cpl 0
> rsp ffff800003f59700
>       Skipping crash dump on recursive panic
>       panic: trap
>       Faulted in mid-traceback; aborting...rebooting...
>
> Here, it boots again, only to fault in the same place.
>

> So, I'm wondering if anyone has successfully installed and booted a
> -current amd64 release in the past 24+ hours.  I'd like to figure
> out if this is strictly a problem with anita/qemu environment, or if
> things are more-widely broken.

I installed from a fresh (to the extent building in an existing objdir
can be fresh) amd64cd in qemu just before I committed the mbr_gpt/bootxx
changes this evening.

That "out of swap" looks ominous.  Does anita configure any swap
partition during installation?   My qemu had the default 128MB and
I gave it 64MB of swap on (virtual) disk.

        Jonathan Kollasch