Re: Which password cipher ?

On 1 December 2010 14:07, Julio Merino <jmmv84%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> On 12/1/10 11:49 AM, Steven Bellovin wrote:

>>> "Of course". ÂBut really, who cares? ÂWhy would you ever have to think
>>> about what cypher algorithm to use, *specially* during installation? ÂAnd if
>>> you want to change it at all after install, you should know how to and,
>>> therefore, you should know what implications that has and how to deal with
>>> them.
>>
>> The simple answer is password file compatibility -- other systems accept
>> the older formats. ÂOver the years, I've seen many instances where someone
>> will say "send me your passwd file line". ÂDES is the most compatible; the
>> Blowfish and md5 methods are used by other open source systems; the
>> HMAC-SHA1 scheme was developed for NetBSD and doesn't exist elsewhere unless
>> they've picked up our code.
>
> I understand that having the ability to change the cypher algorithm can be
> handy (I'm not arguing otherwise). ÂBut that doesn't mean such a tunable
> needs to be available during the installation procedure.
>
> Anyway, thanks for the explanation.

How about simply adding the word "(recommended)" to the recommended
cypher algorithm?  I'm suggesting this because then users like me with
no substantial familiarity with the different cypher algorithms and
the implications of choosing each can go with the recommendation, and
those who know what they are doing will have the possibility of
fine-tuning the cypher during installation for whatever reason
(compatibility etc.).

Otherwise, sysinst could perhaps provide some additional information
about the consequences of choosing a particular cypher for
compatibility/security/etc. (maybe also including a partial list of
what is the preferred scheme on some popular systems).

Pardon my naivety, but how difficult is it to convert from one cypher
algorithm to another post installation?

Pouya