Re: About that horrible polluting mDNS stuff?

On Nov 30,  4:19pm, erh%nimenees.com@localhost (Eric Haszlakiewicz) wrote:
-- Subject: Re: About that horrible polluting mDNS stuff?

| > On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 13:39:48 -0500
| > christos%zoulas.com@localhost (Christos Zoulas) wrote:
| >
| > > On Nov 30, 10:36am, erh%nimenees.com@localhost (Eric Haszlakiewicz) wrote:
| > > |

| > > Or a converter from html -> andoc. There is semantic content that is lost
| > > by the html conversion. If we had a text html browser in base, I would be
| > > more convinced.
| > >
| > > christos
|
| eh?  You mean the conversion to andoc loses information, right?

No, I don't.

| What would such a converter do with links to other pages?  Inlining them

.Xr them

| would create a mess, just appending them at the end would be hard to
| find and lead to pretty poor performance.

| Mapping them on to some kind of extended page name syntax so you can then
| run another man command (e.g. "man html:ntp.howto") seem like it might work,
| but feels very clumsy compared to being able to just select a link.

Well, this assumes that we don't have heterogeneous documentation in the
system. BTW there is already macro syntax to reference external html pages,
but the preferred way is to cross-reference internally.

| I'm no fan of including an html browser in base.  I don't think it makes
| sense to pull in code from other projects when there's no need for NetBSD
| to be making significant modifications to it.  It really seems like it
| should remain as an external, optional package.
| On the other hand, suggesting that you install that package as part of
| the default OS installation seems quite useful.

I don't think that the reason for including an html viewer in base should
be to view manual pages.

| On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 08:45:32PM +0100, Adam Hoka wrote:
| > or simply teach man to display html?
|
| Why do all the work of writing an html parsing and display tool when there
| already is one that seems to work ok?

I was not proposing that.

christos