Re: About that horrible polluting mDNS stuff?

> On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 13:39:48 -0500
> christos%zoulas.com@localhost (Christos Zoulas) wrote:
>
> > On Nov 30, 10:36am, erh%nimenees.com@localhost (Eric Haszlakiewicz) wrote:
> > |
> > | Perhaps we need a wrapper around the man command, something like this
> > perhaps?
> >
> > Or a converter from html -> andoc. There is semantic content that is lost
> > by the html conversion. If we had a text html browser in base, I would be
> > more convinced.
> >
> > christos

eh?  You mean the conversion to andoc loses information, right?
What would such a converter do with links to other pages?  Inlining them
would create a mess, just appending them at the end would be hard to
find and lead to pretty poor performance.
Mapping them on to some kind of extended page name syntax so you can then
run another man command (e.g. "man html:ntp.howto") seem like it might work,
but feels very clumsy compared to being able to just select a link.

I'm no fan of including an html browser in base.  I don't think it makes
sense to pull in code from other projects when there's no need for NetBSD
to be making significant modifications to it.  It really seems like it
should remain as an external, optional package.
On the other hand, suggesting that you install that package as part of
the default OS installation seems quite useful.

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 08:45:32PM +0100, Adam Hoka wrote:
> or simply teach man to display html?

Why do all the work of writing an html parsing and display tool when there
already is one that seems to work ok?

eric